Earlier this week, President Obama admitted there was “no excuse” for the problems with the online sign-up process for the new health insurance exchanges created by the Affordable Care Act. The same day, callers to “NewsOne Now” with Roland Martin vented about problems they’d been having signing up for Obamacare.
Today, Roland Martin had a representative of the Obama administration in the hot seat. Assistant to the President and deputy senior advisor for communications and strategy David Simas pointed out that the portal had 8.6 million visitors within the first three days of its Oct. 1 launch. “The volume created some problems and exposed a whole lot more,” he explained. But, he said, the system does things no other has done before, like determine Medicaid and CHIP eligibility down to the county level nationwide.
“It is a big complicated piece of machinery. I don’t offer that as a way of an excuse, because we knew it was going to be complicated beforehand,” said Simas. He also reminded Martin that Obamacare is supposed to help 6.8 million uninsured African Americans get coverage.
Is Simas’ explanation good enough for you? Hear his full exchange with Roland Martin in the clip below, and judge for yourself.
Tune in to “NewsOne Now” with Roland Martin weekdays at 10 a.m. EST.