VIA THE WASHINGTON POST:
ST. MARY’S COUNTY, Md. – Prosecutors and local sheriffs said Wednesday that the investigation of the alleged cocaine drug ring they broke up last week remains very active.
Two hundred federal and local law enforcement personnel participated in raids at 20 locations on September 10, according to U.S. Attorney for Maryland Rod Rosenstein, who disclosed that $200,000 in cash was seized. Cars, motorcycles, and jewelry were also seized.
An indictment accuses 12 men of participating in a criminal conspiracy to distribute powdered and crack cocaine. In court on Tuesday, prosecutors told a federal judge that one of the accused is a former D.C. police officer. They said Darrell Alphonso Carter ran a high-stakes gambling operation for drug dealers — gambling where up to $80,000 would be on the table.
A friend of Carter scoffed at the charges, calling them “bogus”, and pointing out that Carter’s home on Abell Road in St. Mary’s County is quite modest.
Prosecutors are also asking the court to okay the forfeiture of a home in Mechanicsville, although U.S. Attorney Rod Rosenstein declined to specify how the home was used to further the conspiracy because of the ongoing probe.
More will likely be revealed about the government’s case in the next week or two. Prosecutors expect the courts to then release affidavits in support of search warrants.